Well, last night we had our first hard frost this fall and boy was it cold in the morning (which makes it that much harder to get out of bed in the mornings). The grass was all frosty and slippery in rubber boots so chores were done with a bit more care. But the frost means that we can harvest the rose hips from the lane (apparently they need a good frost before harvest) and it is also an indication that it is really fall now and is getting me excited for winter.
Yesterday it was very rainy in the morning, another one of those days where you get soaked to the skin while doing chores, so we decided that I would not go to the market in Sussex. Instead I stayed on the farm and started a second batch of crabapple jelly (although, it is less like jelly and more like apple butter actually). I made the first batch at the beginning of last week and it was very tasty so we decided that I should make another batch to stock up for winter especially since we have the apples to do it. I am pretty excited because I have never made jam before this or done any canning on my own so I felt pretty accomplished when that first batch was sealed and lined up on a shelf looking pink and tasty. Hopefully my future cooking and canning attempts are also so successful.
I hope that life is going wonderfully for all of you who read this!
MEGAN!!! I miss you!
ReplyDeleteFrost already? We finally had some fall weather this week. The summer was kind of fallish except for the last few weeks.
I want to do what you are doing! It seems like a very fall thing to do.
When do you return to us Winnipegers?
Erica