Well, Thanksgiving has come and gone and I will be mighty glad when the next two weeks are over. Around here, Thanksgiving doesn't mean a day off from work, rather it means that the week before is the busiest week of the year because we butcher everyone else's Thanksgiving turkeys. Part of my job is to bring the turkeys from where we butcher them to the big fridge in the basement so I spent several days last week lugging turkeys down the stairs to the fridge and then Saturday morning we lugged them all back up. Our turkeys ranged from 16 lbs to 30 lbs (that is after they had been killed and cleaned) so it was quite the workout to carry them around. People pre-order their Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys from Terry and Monique so on Saturday we brought about 70 turkeys to the Kingston market for the people who had ordered them. It was funny to see how shocked some people were at the size of some of the turkeys! After market on Saturday I was pretty tired of turkeys.
Unfortunately, this week and next week we will be finishing off with butchering our turkeys and the turkeys of another farmer. These turkeys will be the Christmas turkeys that people have ordered. Most of them will be sold then this weekend and people will put them in their freezers until Christmas. In the past, Terry has kept this second batch of turkeys until Christmas but he and Monique have decided that it is not fair to the turkeys to leave them out that long (they are hardy and can survive but it can't be pleasant in the cold and wet and occasional snow), nor was it fair to Terry who then had to butcher them outside in the freezing cold of December. So this year is different. But that means that I get to lug some more turkeys around for a couple more weeks. I'm pretty sure that by the end of that I won't want to see another turkey for a long time (well, unless it is sliced up on my plate!).
In other news, I have booked my flight home and so I will be arriving back in Winnipeg on October 30th. It is amazing how short a time is feels that I have left. I am sure I will every moment left to me here (well, maybe not the turkey carrying...) and make some good last memories.
I hope you all had a marvellous Thanksgiving!
No comments:
Post a Comment