Saturday, May 30, 2009

Lobster and Fiddleheads

Well, as the title indicates, I have been trying some new foods. Today, we bought a couple of lobsters and had them for supper and it was my first time eating lobster! (by the way, lobster looks like a very strange word if you type it multiple times) It was very good and a fun challenge to eat. Last weekend we also bought fiddleheads from the Kingston market and have had them for a couple meals. They are one of my new favourite foods. For those of you who don't know, fiddleheads are the first shoots of ferns that grow in this area and are a spring specialty here. We steamed them and then fried them in a bit of butter and garlic. mmmm!

Well, I promised to tell you why I find pigs and hens funny. I realize that it may not actually be that funny in writing (also because I am bad at telling funny stories) but if you were to come visit me, perhaps you would find it amusing too. Anyway, hens are just interesting creatures. They are actually rather curious and when I bring pail with feed or water in it to the hen house, they all crowd around and peek over the edge and peck at the edges of it. (I guess this just shows that they know what their food comes from.) They also look hilarious when they run, and this is only funny when you have seen it. And when I come to feed them, if I stand in one place for too long, they crowd around me too and begin pecking at my boots. The pigs are perhaps just more interesting than funny but they already know that I am the one that feeds them and not Terry anymore and aparently they begin snorting when I come out the door in the mornings sometimes. They are also very curious and like to sniff my pants and hands and cluster around me. And they love their food! Sometimes they even try to eat out of my pail before I have finished pouring it into their dish. We recently got some baby pigs and they are very, very cute.

I've been asked about my free time. I don't have tons of "free time" except in the evening when I should really be going to bed. But generally I read a bit or chat with Terry and Monique. While the kids are up, they often want to play with me if I am not helping out elsewhere on the farm, but they are very cute and fun to play with. I haven't had really little siblings like this for a long time (well, I guess I was younger then too).

I have been to both markets that we sell at, one at Kingston and the other in Sussex and both were great markets, at least on the days I was there. I'm excited about being on the other side of the table at a farmers market because I have only ever been a customer at a farmers market.

Well, it is much past my bedtime so that is it for now. I hope it was not all over the place in terms of stories etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment